Three years on, Rajinikanth's political journey that never took off

News Network
December 29, 2020

32c30d91e.jpg

Chennai, Dec 29: It was on the 2018 New year eve actor Rajinikanth confirmed his political entry and said he would start a party ahead of 2021 Assembly elections and contest all the 234 seats in Tamil Nadu.

Exactly, two days short of three years later, Rajini did a U-turn and said he was dropping his political plans and would not start a political party in view of his health condition, the corona pandemic and the spread of the mutant variant of the virus.

A day after he was discharged from the hospital in Hyderabad where he underwent treatment for fluctuations in blood pressure levels after four crew members during 'Annathae' film shoot tested positive for corona, Rajini on Tuesday bade adieu to politics even before taking the proverbial plunge.

Recently during a recent interaction with his Rajini Makkal Mandram (RMM) members, the actor reiterated that his political entry was confirmed and he would form a new party in January 2021 and unveil his plans on December 31, sending his fans in delirium.

Since then expectations were high and the people of the State were eagerly awaiting the strategy to be adopted by him for the polls, since the actor had stated that there was a political vaccum in the State following the demise of two tall leaders AIADMK's J Jayalalithaa and DMK's M Karunanidhi and that he wanted to fill it.

As doubts were expressed at various quarters whether Rajini was committed to his decision, especially in view of his health condition, Rajini, in a three-page statement, shocked his legion of fans by announcing that he was dropping his proposed political plans in view of his health condition.

Detailing his health status, Rajini said since he had underwent a kidney transplant a few years, there should not be any fluctuations in his blood pressure levels as it would severely affect the transplanted kidney.

Citing the prevailing corona pandemic and the spread of the mutant variant of the virus, Rajini announced with regrets that he was not taking the political plunge, which involved hectic travelling, holding public meetings and meeting lakhs and lakhs of people, as campaigning through social media would not be effective.

He said he alone could understand the 'pain he endured' to take such a decision and sought an apology from his fans and the people of Tamil Nadu.

Ever since he confirmed his political entry on December 31, 2017, expectations were high since then on when he would honour his commitment.

For the last three years, Rajini had been repeatedly making politically loaded statements, drawing the ire of the ruling AIADMK and other parties also said miracles and wonder would happen in the 2021 elections.

On December three this year, Rajini said he would honour his commitment and start a political party, even at the cost of his life.

Asserting that everything would be changed, Rajini said 'if not now, it will be never'.

He also saidtime has come for a a political and regime change in the State.

'It is certain that, we will secure a massive victory in the ensuing Assembly polls with the support of the people, and create a straight forward, honest, transparent, corruption-free secular and egalitarian spiritual politics'. 'Wonder and Miracles will happen', he added.

In November last year, Rajini's political plans gained momentum when he made a dramatic announcement that he was willing to work together with his long time friend and fellow actor-politician Kamal Haasan in the elections.

It gained further momentum in March this year when Rajini came up with a three-point agenda, which included ruling himself out of the post of Chief Minister, wanted to separate party from the government by forming a council that would appoint a young and capable Chief Minister and supervise the functioning of the government, abolish thousands of party posts and induct youngsters into the party.

In October, Rajini virtually dropped his political plans citing his health condition as he had underwent a kidney transplant and the prevailing COVID-9 pandemic.

A letter, purportedly written by him created buzz in the social media. The actor said the letter in his name which claimed that he might not enter politics as promised on the 2018 New Year eve due to the COVID-19 pandemic and due to his health condition was not written by him.

But he confirmed that the contents in it about his health condition was true.

Rajini, while confirming his health issues and the doctor’s advice that meeting people and campaigning would put him at risk in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, broadly hinted that he was not entering politics.

In fact Rajini in one of his films 'Arunachalam' a few years back, donned the role of a political leader and even started a party and disbanded it later.

Rajini again revived his political plans early this month, but bade adieu to it without taking the plunge--a journey that never took off.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 20,2025

Bhagalpur: A violent clash between two nephews of Union Minister Nityanand Rai in Bihar’s Bhagalpur resulted in one death and another critically injured on Thursday.

The incident occurred in Jagatpur under Parvatta police station, Navgachia district. The injured nephew is undergoing treatment at Bhagalpur hospital. Following the incident, top district officials rushed to the hospital, and an investigation is underway.

Naugachhia SP Prerna Kumar stated, "Around 7:30 am, we received information that two brothers shot at each other in Jagatpur village. One succumbed to injuries, while the other is critical. Initial reports suggest a dispute over a water tap escalated into gunfire. The deceased has been identified as Vikal Yadav, and the injured as Jaijit Yadav. Prompt action has been taken, and statements are being recorded. We also have information that they are relatives of a Union minister."

According to reports, the altercation between Jagjit Yadav and Vikal Yadav turned violent when one opened fire on the other. The injured man then grabbed the gun and retaliated. Both were taken to Bhagalpur hospital, where Vikal Yadav was declared dead, and Jaijit remains in critical condition.

During the clash, their mother, who tried to intervene, was shot in the hand. She is also receiving treatment at Dr. AK Yadav’s clinic.

Parvatta police station in-charge Shambhu Kumar confirmed that the dispute revolved around water and led to gunfire. Authorities are investigating further to determine the exact cause of the conflict.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 20,2025

gazamassacre.jpg

Gaza’s health ministry says Israel’s renewed savagery has led to the massacre of at least 970 people in 48 hours.

The wave of deadly airstrikes that shattered a fragile ceasefire in Gaza on Tuesday has so far claimed the lives of at least 970 people across the besieged territory, the health ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

Before the resumption of the offensive, the death toll from the regime’s 15 months of genocidal war recorded by the ministry at midday on March 17 stood at 48,577.

By midday on Wednesday, the figure had risen to 49,547, the ministry said.

The health ministry also registered "one death and five severe injuries among foreign staff working for UN institutions.”

It said Israel attacked a UN headquarters in Deir el-Balah, in the central Gaza Strip, on Wednesday.

The victims had been taken to the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, the health ministry said.

Israel's military denied attacking a UN building in Gaza.

The UN Office for Project Services (UNOPS) confirmed the death of one of its staff by an explosive that was "dropped or fired" on its building in Deir el-Balah.

"An explosive ordnance was dropped or fired at the infrastructure and detonated inside the building,” it said, adding that five others were injured.

UNOPS Executive Director Jorge Moreira da Silva said he was "shocked and devastated" by the death of a staff member.

“This was not an accident.”  he said, adding that "attacks against humanitarian premises are a breach of international law."

Bulgaria's foreign ministry said later in the day that one of its citizens working for the United Nations was killed in Gaza, without specifying where in the territory.

Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel threatened on Tuesday that the massacre of women and children in Gaza was “only the beginning.” He stands accused of committing war crimes and ethnic cleansing in Gaza.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 19,2025

Kanpur (UP): The Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorism Squad on Wednesday arrested an employee of the Kanpur Ordnance Factory for allegedly sharing classified and sensitive information with a Pakistani intelligence operative through social media, according to a statement.

The accused, identified as Kumar Vikas, was employed as a Junior Works Manager at the Kanpur Ordnance Factory, the ATS said in the statement.

He was in contact with a suspected Pakistani agent who used the alias "Neha Sharma", it said. Investigations revealed that Vikas had been sending confidential documents and sensitive data related to ordnance manufacturing, employee attendance sheets, machine layouts, and production charts via WhatsApp.

On March 13, ATS arrested another Ordnance Factory employee, Ravindra Kumar, from Hazratpur, Firozabad, for similar offenses. His interrogation led ATS officials to Vikas, who had also been in contact with the suspected Pakistani agent since January 2025.

Authorities said the Pakistani agent introduced herself as an employee of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and initially contacted Vikas on Facebook. They later exchanged mobile numbers and continued their communication on WhatsApp.

To avoid detection, they used the Ludo gaming app for covert conversations, the statement read. Vikas was allegedly lured by financial incentives to pass on classified information, it said.

Kumar Vikas has been taken into custody and further legal proceedings are under way.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.