I’m still alive, don’t use my ‘death’ to incite communal violence: Hindu youth tells media

coastaldigest.com web desk
January 30, 2018

Rahul Upadhyay, a 25-year-old Hindu youth, whose ‘death’ helped the communal outfits to unleash violence and attack Muslims in Kasganj district of Uttar Pradesh, on Monday presented himself before media to prove the he’s still alive. Meanwhile, the police have apprehended four people for spreading false rumours of his death.

“I assure you, I am alive. Don’t use my death to incite violence. I don’t want to become famous like this,” Upadhyay, who was surrounded by media persons at Kotwali Police station in Kasganj. Upadhyay was declared dead by some “rumour mongers” on social media. The “news” picked up and was carried in a number of newspapers too.

From a family of farmers, Upadhyay was at home in Nagla Khanji village in Aligarh. After learning of his “death”, he received snapshots of social media images announcing his death. “I realised there were people who were using me to try and instigate further violence. The narrative was a, out Hindus being killed and I reached out to police and district administration. Eventually I got through.”

IG, Aligarh, Sanjeev Gupta on Monday requested Upadhyay to meet as many media persons as possible. “Contrary to rumours spread on social media, Rahul Upadhyay is alive,” he told reporters.

The rumours claimed that Upadhyay died along with Abhishek Gupta in communal clashes in Kasganj on Friday. The violence was triggered by a march to mark the Republic Day. A clash erupted between two groups when Hindutva activists, who were holding saffron flags attacked a group of Muslims who were hoisting national flag. The fight intensified and both groups started hurling stones at each other, later fired shots, which left Gupta (22) dead. The next day saw a second spate of violence during which several Muslim-owned shops were gutted in retaliation to Gupta’s death.

Police has so far detained 82 people and arrested 31 persons in connection with the violence. No arrests have been made under the charges of murder yet, police said.

Meanwhile, a reporter with a media channel was allegedly shoved by relatives of the deceased Gupta Monday, said police. Speaking about the incident, IG Gupta said, “The family members were not happy with the news coverage done by the channel. It was good that police reached in time and we were able to prevent an untoward incident.”

Comments

Vinod
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

Indian medias are so negative and spreading lies against Hindus. This is why we are supporting Hindu country.

Ravi
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

UP became capital of crime because of Yogi. Interesting fact is that all atrocities were against dalits and muslims

Hari
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

Saffrons are making reasons for communal clash. They just wanted to kill innocent muslims to make Hindu Rashtra

Ganesh
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

Recently one "selfie death by train hit" video was went viral. Social media and some main stream media covered that news without checking facts. And atlast the truth got revealed that the video was just a prank

Kumar
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

Media spreading only lies. They are making business by circulating rumours

Mohan
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

Social media users used to share any fake news without cross checking facts. Now newspapers also start covering such news without thinking about that.

shaji
 - 
Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018

It is obvious that sangh parivar well planned for the disturbance in Kasgunj and BJP is the mastermind in view of election next year.  We will see more disturbance like this in the coming days unless and untill Police dept. takes strict action and arrest the master planners.   Police should arrest those hate monger channel personnels also who had deliberately spread wrong news and this was done under the influence of money.   these channels are paid by sangh parivar.  Police should arrest such channel news persons and send to jail.   I think as per sangh parivar indian flag should not be hoisted by minority and instead they should hoist bhagwa flag.  This is what happened in Kasgunj.   Sangh parivar goondas attacked minority poeple for hoisting indian flag and did not agree to hoist bhagwa flag instead. Police would have prevented the issue in case they would have arrived on time. Is there any conspiracy in late arrival of police as the attack was pre planned by sangh parivar goondas as they were carrying pistols, axes, knives etc with them. They were also carrying petrol bombs.  Administratin should be very strict on these goondas and catch the master mnder behind the pre planned attack on minorities who were gathered to hoist indian flag. Will Yogi wake up from sleep.

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 21,2025

Bengaluru: The Karnataka Assembly on Friday passed Bills doubling the salaries of the chief minister, ministers, and legislators, adding an annual burden of ₹62 crore on the exchequer.

The CM's monthly salary will increase from ₹75,000 to ₹1.5 lakh, while ministers will see a 108% hike, from ₹60,000 to ₹1.25 lakh. MLAs and MLCs will get ₹80,000 per month, up from ₹40,000, and their pension will rise from ₹50,000 to ₹75,000.

The Karnataka Ministers Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill and the Karnataka Legislature Salaries, Pensions and Allowances (Amendment) Bill were passed without debate, as the Opposition BJP protested in the well of the House.

The Bills cited the rising cost of living as justification for the hike. The Assembly Speaker and Legislative Council chairperson will now receive ₹1.25 lakh per month, up from ₹75,000.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 28,2025

Udupi: Deputy Commissioner K. Vidya Kumari has directed officials to expedite land acquisition for designated industrial zones in the district to facilitate new industries. She issued these instructions during a meeting at Rajatadri on Wednesday.

Lands have been identified across various taluks for industrial development. The DC emphasized that KIADB must acquire these lands and ensure essential infrastructure—electricity, roads, and drainage—to attract industries and generate employment.

A total of 77 acres of private land has been acquired and compensated, including 31.2 acres in Kerebettu village, Hebri taluk, and 45.7 acres in Shivapura village. However, approval for 36.5 acres of government land is still pending. She instructed the forest department to assess whether this land falls under an eco-sensitive zone.

For the Belapu Industrial Area, the DC urged officials to accelerate minor land acquisitions for road expansion and commence construction at the earliest. She also mandated rainwater harvesting systems for all units in the Miyaru Industrial Area to tackle water scarcity.

Currently, 22 export-based units operate in the district. The DC encouraged further promotion of exports and an increase in their number.

The meeting was attended by Joint Director of Industries Nagraj V. Naik, KIADB Development Officer Srinivasa Murthy, Small-Scale Industries Association District President Harish Kunder, Deputy Director of the District Industrial Center Seetharam Shetty, District Skill Development Officer Arun B., and others.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.