Hubballi, Mar 18: Five teenagers, who allegedly switched on a diesel generator following a power cut on Thursday night, died of asphyxiation in Lingasuguru town of Raichur district on Friday. While four of them were found dead on the premises of Chetan Sound Office, a local sound engineering shop, the fifth person died in a hospital.
"When the shop was opened on Friday morning, four of them were found dead; the fifth person was still alive, struggling to breathe," said Lingasuguru police, who visited the spot and took stock of the situation. Suresh Gaddeppa Datar, 18, was rushed to a local hospital and later shifted to Bagalkot Hospital, where he died in the evening.
On Thursday, all five worked till midnight and then decided to stay back in the shop itself.
Power supply snapped some time in the night following a downpour. Police said the teenagers might have switched on the diesel generator to ensure uninterrupted power supply. "Prima facie, it looks like they died of asphyxiation after inhaling carbon monoxide emitted by the generator," said a police officer. "However, the real reason will be known only after a thorough probe," he added.
Police said all five were employed with Chetan Sounds, which also provides generator service in and around Lingasuguru. The four other deceased are Adappa Renukavva, 18, Moulali Buddesab, 18, Manjunath Shivaraj, 19 -all residents of Karadkal village - and Shashikumar Mahantesh, 18, of Yakranal village.