Four 'Costa Concordia' survivors return home

naeem@coastaldigest.com (CD Network)
January 22, 2012

Costa_Concordia


Karwar/Udupi, January 22: Four people from coastal Karnataka, who were among the 200 Indian survivors in the Italian cruise ship tragedy, have returned home safely.

Tony Fernandes, Xavier D'costa, and Wilson Fernandis, crew members of “Costa Concordia” that ran aground off the coast of Italy last week, have returned to Karwar. While Ajay Quadros (29), a native of Shirva had returned home on Friday through Mangalore airport.

Narrating the incident, they said they were lucky enough to survive. The joint efforts of crew members averted a big tragedy, Mr. Tony said.

According to them, the vessel left the Civitavecchia port in Italy on Friday night. There were 4,200 people on board, including crew members. At 9.45 p.m. (2 a.m. Indian Standard Time), there was a big noise and the vessel started leaning, they said.

After some time, power went off and the vessel stopped moving. Mr. Wilson said the captain blew the accordion which warned that the vessel was sinking.

Mr. Tony said water entered the engine room. Panic-stricken people began calling the control room, but the reply was to keep cool, he said. Then, the crew members rushed to help the passengers and gave them lifejackets, he said.

Mr Ajay Quadros, who has been working for Spain Dining Restaurant run by Costa Crociere for the last four years, said that he was on duty on the ship when it hit a rock on January 13 and sunk.

Of the 1,200 staff, 202 were from India, including 12 from Karnataka. There were 35 people from Goa, he said.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 28,2025

Udupi: Deputy Commissioner K. Vidya Kumari has directed officials to expedite land acquisition for designated industrial zones in the district to facilitate new industries. She issued these instructions during a meeting at Rajatadri on Wednesday.

Lands have been identified across various taluks for industrial development. The DC emphasized that KIADB must acquire these lands and ensure essential infrastructure—electricity, roads, and drainage—to attract industries and generate employment.

A total of 77 acres of private land has been acquired and compensated, including 31.2 acres in Kerebettu village, Hebri taluk, and 45.7 acres in Shivapura village. However, approval for 36.5 acres of government land is still pending. She instructed the forest department to assess whether this land falls under an eco-sensitive zone.

For the Belapu Industrial Area, the DC urged officials to accelerate minor land acquisitions for road expansion and commence construction at the earliest. She also mandated rainwater harvesting systems for all units in the Miyaru Industrial Area to tackle water scarcity.

Currently, 22 export-based units operate in the district. The DC encouraged further promotion of exports and an increase in their number.

The meeting was attended by Joint Director of Industries Nagraj V. Naik, KIADB Development Officer Srinivasa Murthy, Small-Scale Industries Association District President Harish Kunder, Deputy Director of the District Industrial Center Seetharam Shetty, District Skill Development Officer Arun B., and others.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.