Washington, Jan 10: The Trump administration is being investigated for failing to renew public housing contracts for low-income families that had lapsed well ahead of the government shutdown, US Congressman David Price said in a statement.
"HUD [Department of Housing and Urban Development] knew for moths about this impending deadline to renew the contracts, but for some reason they failed to take proper action in advance of the shutdown," Price, who is the incoming chairman of a House oversight subcommittee, said as quoted by NBC. "I am seeking detailed explanations from HUD officials about this failure and how they will mitigate the consequences, and I will call a hearing if necessary."
About 1,150 of the contracts had lapsed, NBC reported earlier this week citing HUD data, affecting rent and utilities subsidies for 1.2 million low-income households including families with young children, the elderly and the disabled.
On December 22, the US government shut down after Democrats refused to include more than $5 billion demanded by President Donald Trump to build a wall on the southern border. Democrats, who now control the US House, have vowed to block any bill that includes the amount of money Trump is requesting to construct the border wall.
Trump administration under probe for not renewing housing aid before shutdown