Legal expat workers eligible for GOSI

May 13, 2013

gosi

Riyadh, May 13: Expatriate workers can now become beneficiaries of the General Organization For Social Insurance (GOSI) under a new scheme introduced by the Ministry of Labor.

The announcement followed a meeting held late Saturday between the officials of the Labor Ministry and the representatives of various foreign missions at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Riyadh.

The Ministry of Labor had summoned all the heads of foreign missions and labor counselors of the embassies and their consulates to brief them of the latest labor regulations and the conditions of amnesty declared by the government on Friday.

Hosting the meeting on behalf of Labor Minister Adel Fakeih, his deputy minister, Moufarrej bin Saad Al-Hagbani, held a wide range of talks on labor issues with the foreign diplomats.

The deputy minister explained that the GOSI would register the names of the expatriates effective today if they were not registered earlier under the insurance scheme.

GOSI is compulsory for all Saudis and was previously optional for expatriates. However, until today, private companies could refuse to enroll their expat workers in GOSI. The new scheme allows expats to register for GOSI and their private employers cannot refuse them.

Sulaiman Al-Quwaiz, governor of GOSI, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the date on which a non-Saudi worker comes to Saudi Arabia, or the date on which his service is transferred to another employer, will be the date he is registered with the professional hazards division of GOSI. The records will appear from the first date of the month on which the change took place.

“But when a non-Saudi subscriber leaves the country for good, or when his services are transferred to another employer, his record will be frozen,” he said.

Al-Quwaiz said the subscriber starts earning the benefits effective immediately from his registration. Benefits include full medical coverage.

Meanwhile, foreign diplomats expressed concern over the limited grace period during which expats have to legalize their status. The grace period ends on July 3.

Envoys said the amnesty period is too short. They also wanted details on the mechanism of the implementation.

Saudi officials assured the envoys the ministries would work around the clock if necessary to expedite the process to meet the deadline, but ruled out any extension of the grace period, according to diplomats who attended the closed-door meeting.

Some diplomats asked for the designation of Saudi officials for specific issues in the passport and labor offices to speed up the process.

In cases in which departing candidates do not have their original passports, foreign diplomatic missions may issue travel documents that may be processed at the Passport offices so that they are free to travel, according to Saudi authorities.

Speaking about Nitaqat and the amnesty provided by the government, Al-Hagbani said illegal expatriates after the grace period would face a penalty of SR 100,000 and a jail term of two years.

“The whole idea of the program is to ensure a healthy work environment in the Kingdom free of illegal stayers,” the deputy minister said. He added the government wants to have quality workers. It is the wish of the government, he said, to ensure that every foreign worker is properly documented.

Pakistan Ambassador Muhammed Naeem Khan said the new provision for the GOSI insurance is a relief for foreign workers. He recalled a recent road accident, where some Pakistanis died and the sponsor could not pay compensation for the deceased workers. The new scheme would provide some relief to the relatives of the people who die in such circumstances.

Describing the meeting as excellent, deputy chief of the Indian Embassy Sibi George said the meeting was useful for all labor-exporting countries. “We were able to get the right advice on some of the problems that the missions were facing during the implementation of the program,” George said.

The diplomat said his mission was able to get 10,000 passports of its nationals ready with the help of the immigration department.

Bangladesh Ambassador Shahidul Islam said the envoys got an ideal platform to clarify a wide range of issues. He also took the opportunity to thank the Saudi leadership, which allowed the transfer of sponsorship of Bangladeshis. “It is great news for the community and the affected expatriates now can rectify their visa status without any problems,” he said.

Islam said his embassy in Riyadh and the consulate general in Jeddah will organize camps at various places around Saudi Arabia to provide emergency consular services to Bangladeshis. “We are taking consular services to their doorstep to help them benefit from the services without having to travel to the distant missions of their country,” he said.

Sri Lankan Labor Counselor Anura Muthumala said his mission has started the implementation of the program to beat the deadline before the end of the grace period. He said that his mission will have mobile consular services in places such as Dammam, Hail, Al-Qassim and Saqaka to reach out to his countrymen.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 24,2025

gazacrisis.jpg

The head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) has warned that the tight Israeli blockade on the entry of humanitarian supplies into the Gaza Strip is pushing the coastal territory closer to an acute hunger crisis.

Philippe Lazzarini made the remarks in a social media post, in which he noted that the siege, which is preventing food, medicines, water and fuel from entering the region, has lasted longer than what was in place in the first phase of the war.

Israel has banned the entry of humanitarian aid into Gaza since March 4, following the expiry of the first phase of a ceasefire and an agreement with Hamas resistance movement on the exchange of Israeli captives for Palestinian prisoners.

Lazzarini warned that Gaza’s population depends on imports via Israeli-occupied territories for their survival.

“Every day that passes without the entry of aid means more children go to bed hungry, diseases spread & deprivation deepens,” he said.

“Every day without food inches Gaza closer to an acute hunger crisis,” the UNRWA chief noted.

Lazzarini described the banning of aid as a collective punishment on Gaza’s population – the vast majority of which are children, women and ordinary men.

He called for the siege to be lifted and for humanitarian aid and commercial supplies to be brought into Gaza “uninterrupted and at scale.”

Backed by the United States and its Western allies, Israel launched the war on Gaza on October 7, 2023, after the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas carried out Operation Al-Aqsa Flood against the Israeli regime in response to its decades-long campaign of oppression against Palestinians.

The regime’s bloody onslaught on Gaza has so far killed at least 50,021 Palestinians, mostly women and children, and injured 113,274 others. Thousands more are also missing and presumed dead under the rubble.

On November 21 last year, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former minister of military affairs Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for its deadly war on the blockaded coastal sliver.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 20,2025

gazamassacre.jpg

Gaza’s health ministry says Israel’s renewed savagery has led to the massacre of at least 970 people in 48 hours.

The wave of deadly airstrikes that shattered a fragile ceasefire in Gaza on Tuesday has so far claimed the lives of at least 970 people across the besieged territory, the health ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

Before the resumption of the offensive, the death toll from the regime’s 15 months of genocidal war recorded by the ministry at midday on March 17 stood at 48,577.

By midday on Wednesday, the figure had risen to 49,547, the ministry said.

The health ministry also registered "one death and five severe injuries among foreign staff working for UN institutions.”

It said Israel attacked a UN headquarters in Deir el-Balah, in the central Gaza Strip, on Wednesday.

The victims had been taken to the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, the health ministry said.

Israel's military denied attacking a UN building in Gaza.

The UN Office for Project Services (UNOPS) confirmed the death of one of its staff by an explosive that was "dropped or fired" on its building in Deir el-Balah.

"An explosive ordnance was dropped or fired at the infrastructure and detonated inside the building,” it said, adding that five others were injured.

UNOPS Executive Director Jorge Moreira da Silva said he was "shocked and devastated" by the death of a staff member.

“This was not an accident.”  he said, adding that "attacks against humanitarian premises are a breach of international law."

Bulgaria's foreign ministry said later in the day that one of its citizens working for the United Nations was killed in Gaza, without specifying where in the territory.

Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel threatened on Tuesday that the massacre of women and children in Gaza was “only the beginning.” He stands accused of committing war crimes and ethnic cleansing in Gaza.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 28,2025

qudsday.jpg

Millions of people across Iran and the world took to the streets on International Quds Day, expressing solidarity with Palestinians and condemning Israel’s actions in Gaza.

Brigadier General Ramezan Sharif, spokesperson for Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) and head of the Intifada Committee in Tehran, stated that rallies began at 10:00 a.m. local time (0630 GMT) in over 900 cities across Iran.

Demonstrators from various walks of life carried Iranian and Palestinian flags, as well as banners reading “Free Palestine” and “Al-Quds Must Be Liberated.” Flags of regional resistance groups, including Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (Hashd al-Sha'abi), Lebanon’s Hezbollah, and Yemen’s Ansarullah, were also displayed.

Mass rallies were held across West Asia, including in Iraq, Yemen, and Lebanon, as well as in other parts of the world.

Iranian Leaders Condemn Western Stance

Senior Iranian officials participated in the rally in Tehran, where Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf addressed the gathering.

“Iranians have taken to the streets in a massive show of support for Palestine and the Islamic Ummah,” Qalibaf said. “The Palestinian struggle is not just an issue for the Islamic world but a lesson for all of humanity.”

He criticized the West’s response to Israeli actions in Gaza, calling it a stain on Western civilization. “These crimes will be remembered as a lasting ignominy, exposing the West’s duplicity in human rights advocacy,” he added.

Qalibaf also defended the October 7, 2023, Palestinian attack on Israeli-occupied territories, describing Operation al-Aqsa Flood as a “rightful and legitimate response to 77 years of oppression by Israel, the U.S., and Britain.” He further described Israel as a “spare regime” dependent on U.S. support.

Quds Day: A Global Symbol of Resistance

Al-Quds Day, observed annually on the last Friday of Ramadan, was established in 1979 by the late Imam Khomeini to demonstrate solidarity with Palestinians and oppose Israeli occupation. The event has since become a symbol of resistance, with large rallies held worldwide, particularly amid Israel’s ongoing military operations in Gaza and the West Bank.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.