Mysore: Man-eater tiger caught finally

safia@coastaldigest.com (Agencies)
December 6, 2013
Man_Eater_Tiger5
Mysore, Dec 6: The search for the tiger that killed three men in a week ended with its capture on Thursday. The government had ordered it shot at sight, but forest officials managed to catch it alive.

The animal, which had pounced on three villagers and killed them, had spread terror in villages adjoining the reserve forests of Bandipur and HD Kote. The Forest Department caught the tiger at 12.15 pm after tranquilising it, just 100 metres from where it had killed Heggadahalli Basappa in Chikka Baragi village in HD Kote taluk.

A group of veterinarians gathered on Thursday morning and resumed the search for the tiger. Dr Sanath from Bannerghatta National Park, Dr Prashanth from Mysore Zoo, Dr Umashankar from Nagarahole National Park, Dr Nagaraj from Bandipur National Park and Dr Prayag from Biligiri Ranga Tiger Reserve spearheaded the operations. Mounted on the tamed Dasara elephant Kanthi, Dr Sanath tranquillised the tiger. His team located the tiger by tracking its pug marks.

In one case, the tiger had scooped out the skull and tore apart the victim's leg. The killings had been raised in the state legislature, prompting the government to order its elimination.

After its capture, the tiger was shifted to the local forest office and kept under observation in a cage, and was later moved to the Mysore zoo. The male tiger, about 12 years old, is huge and strong. It shows evidence of a fight with other animals in the forest, during which it has sustained minor injuries. Its jaw area is pierced by wild boar quills.

The tiger's lower row of teeth is worn out, and it cannot eat its prey after the kill, a forest official said. “If it remains in the forest, it will die of starvation,” he said.

Although the operation was successful, forest officials soon encountered irate villagers who urged them to kill the big cat. It has already killed three villagers and should be shot dead at once, residents of Chikka Baragi pressed the officials. It was not easy for the forest personnel to convince villagers that the tiger should be spared and taken to the Mysore zoo. “In Mysore, we will first remove the quills that have pierced its mouth. Higher officials will take a decision on whether it should be shifted to the Bannerghatta National Park or elsewhere,” Bandipur Tiger Reserve director H C Kantharaju said.

As news of the capture spread, every village on the way insisted the tiger should be stopped for a while for public viewing. Forest officials then enlisted police support and took the animal to Mysore through the Moolehole and Maddur Range Forests. The government has not issued any shoot-at-sight orders for the second tiger that killed a villager last week.

tiger

Man_Eater_Tiger1

Man_Eater_Tiger2

Man_Eater_Tiger3

Man_Eater_Tiger4

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 21,2025

Bengaluru: The Karnataka Assembly on Friday passed Bills doubling the salaries of the chief minister, ministers, and legislators, adding an annual burden of ₹62 crore on the exchequer.

The CM's monthly salary will increase from ₹75,000 to ₹1.5 lakh, while ministers will see a 108% hike, from ₹60,000 to ₹1.25 lakh. MLAs and MLCs will get ₹80,000 per month, up from ₹40,000, and their pension will rise from ₹50,000 to ₹75,000.

The Karnataka Ministers Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill and the Karnataka Legislature Salaries, Pensions and Allowances (Amendment) Bill were passed without debate, as the Opposition BJP protested in the well of the House.

The Bills cited the rising cost of living as justification for the hike. The Assembly Speaker and Legislative Council chairperson will now receive ₹1.25 lakh per month, up from ₹75,000.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 28,2025

Udupi: Deputy Commissioner K. Vidya Kumari has directed officials to expedite land acquisition for designated industrial zones in the district to facilitate new industries. She issued these instructions during a meeting at Rajatadri on Wednesday.

Lands have been identified across various taluks for industrial development. The DC emphasized that KIADB must acquire these lands and ensure essential infrastructure—electricity, roads, and drainage—to attract industries and generate employment.

A total of 77 acres of private land has been acquired and compensated, including 31.2 acres in Kerebettu village, Hebri taluk, and 45.7 acres in Shivapura village. However, approval for 36.5 acres of government land is still pending. She instructed the forest department to assess whether this land falls under an eco-sensitive zone.

For the Belapu Industrial Area, the DC urged officials to accelerate minor land acquisitions for road expansion and commence construction at the earliest. She also mandated rainwater harvesting systems for all units in the Miyaru Industrial Area to tackle water scarcity.

Currently, 22 export-based units operate in the district. The DC encouraged further promotion of exports and an increase in their number.

The meeting was attended by Joint Director of Industries Nagraj V. Naik, KIADB Development Officer Srinivasa Murthy, Small-Scale Industries Association District President Harish Kunder, Deputy Director of the District Industrial Center Seetharam Shetty, District Skill Development Officer Arun B., and others.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 27,2025

nandini.jpg

The Karnataka government has announced that Nandini milk will become ₹4 costlier per litre starting April 1, 2025. This is the second price hike this year.

The decision was made during a cabinet meeting led by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah. Karnataka Cooperation Minister K N Rajanna and Animal Husbandry Minister K Venkatesh said the increase is meant to support dairy farmers by covering the rising costs of producing and processing milk.

Officials also said that:

>> The extra money from the price hike will go directly to the milk producers.

>> The earlier ₹2 price hike (announced on June 26, 2024) will be withdrawn.

>> The new price hike of ₹4 will apply to both 500 ml and 1-litre packets.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.