Cinepolis' takes Mangalore by surprise

naeem@coastaldigest.com (CD Network)
December 8, 2012
Mangalore, December 8: Shrouded by controversy, the much-awaited and hyped 'Cinepolis' multiplex at City Centre, here finally opened its doors to the public on Saturday.

After allegations of lobbying for the launch of the multiplex, ex-Deputy Commissioner N S Channappa Gowda had rejected the application for its license two months ago, citing that clearance from the Fire and Emergency Service Department (FESD) had not been obtained.

Mr Gowda had denied authorisation to the multiplex in September after having received a strict warning from the Regional Commissioner (in Mysore) against lobbying for the multiplex.

However, on his final day as DC of Dakshina Kannada, Mr Gowda granted the No Objection Certificate (NOC) for Cinepolis. According to him, the Fire NOC had not been granted to the entire building previously, which had caused the district administration to deny permission/license to the multiplex. He said that the permission was granted once the building authorities obtained the fire NOC to the entire building.

The mall's marketing manager Sunil K S told 'Coastaldigest.com' that as instructed by the fire department, a minor project was undertaken on the seventh floor in which an extension of the road had been constructed, as to make way for fire and emergency services in case of emergencies. “Thereafter, we received notification that the NOC had been granted to the multiplex and it was opened today,” he said.

However, there was “something fishy”, according to Vidya Dinker of Citizen Forum, who had earlier objected to Mr Gowda's alleged lobbying. “Since the DC agreed to grant the certificate on the last day of being in-charge, it certainly looks like he was kept back (as DC of Dakshina Kannada) just to file his NOC. We don't think the government officials can play with the safety of the citizens. Over a period of five years from 2007 till now, nothing has changed so far in the structure, which the fire department had termed as 'unworthy'. So what has prompted them to suddenly hand over the No Objection Certificate? We will take up the matter with the Lokayukta Police, and the DC as well as the DGP will be accountable and answerable. We don't want another Upahaar-like tragedy in Mangalore,” she told 'Coastaldigest.com'.

Cinepolis is the first five-screen digital multiplex in Mangalore, which has a seating capacity of 1200, together with Real D, the world's best 3D technology, Hollywood standard 2k digital screens and 7.1 Dolby digital audio. After Bangalore, this is the second Cinepolis multiplex in Karnataka.

Currently four screens of Cinepolis are open to the public, while the fifth VIP screen is expected to open soon.

Business Head of Exhibition at Cinépolis Ashish Shukla said, “After an overwhelming response to our international product quality in Bengaluru, we are extremely happy to introduce the same at Mangalore. Along with a truly international movie watching experience through audio and video, the multiplex will offer an indulging experience at our VIP Cinemas. Another added attraction at Cinepolis is 'Coffee tree', an in-house coffee shop which will feature a wide range of freshly prepared gourmet food and beverages.”

“For the first few weeks, we invite all cinema lovers in Mangalore and neighboring towns of Manipal, Udipi and Kasargod to try out the unique Cinepolis experience with our special introductory prices starting at Rs.80 for normal seats and Rs.130 for VIP seats,” informed Head of Strategy at Cinépolis India Devang Sampat.

Cinépolis currently operates at Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bengaluru, Patna, Surat, Ludhiana, and Bhopal. Starting in 2012 with 32 screens, Cinépolis has added 17 more screens until now, making it one of the fastest growing multiplex chains in the country. With the addition of Cinépolis Mangalore, it now stands at a total of 49 screens across all four geographic zones.

city

cinepolis

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
Agencies
March 28,2025

Udupi: Deputy Commissioner K. Vidya Kumari has directed officials to expedite land acquisition for designated industrial zones in the district to facilitate new industries. She issued these instructions during a meeting at Rajatadri on Wednesday.

Lands have been identified across various taluks for industrial development. The DC emphasized that KIADB must acquire these lands and ensure essential infrastructure—electricity, roads, and drainage—to attract industries and generate employment.

A total of 77 acres of private land has been acquired and compensated, including 31.2 acres in Kerebettu village, Hebri taluk, and 45.7 acres in Shivapura village. However, approval for 36.5 acres of government land is still pending. She instructed the forest department to assess whether this land falls under an eco-sensitive zone.

For the Belapu Industrial Area, the DC urged officials to accelerate minor land acquisitions for road expansion and commence construction at the earliest. She also mandated rainwater harvesting systems for all units in the Miyaru Industrial Area to tackle water scarcity.

Currently, 22 export-based units operate in the district. The DC encouraged further promotion of exports and an increase in their number.

The meeting was attended by Joint Director of Industries Nagraj V. Naik, KIADB Development Officer Srinivasa Murthy, Small-Scale Industries Association District President Harish Kunder, Deputy Director of the District Industrial Center Seetharam Shetty, District Skill Development Officer Arun B., and others.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.
News Network
March 27,2025

nandini.jpg

The Karnataka government has announced that Nandini milk will become ₹4 costlier per litre starting April 1, 2025. This is the second price hike this year.

The decision was made during a cabinet meeting led by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah. Karnataka Cooperation Minister K N Rajanna and Animal Husbandry Minister K Venkatesh said the increase is meant to support dairy farmers by covering the rising costs of producing and processing milk.

Officials also said that:

>> The extra money from the price hike will go directly to the milk producers.

>> The earlier ₹2 price hike (announced on June 26, 2024) will be withdrawn.

>> The new price hike of ₹4 will apply to both 500 ml and 1-litre packets.

Comments

Add new comment

  • Coastaldigest.com reserves the right to delete or block any comments.
  • Coastaldigset.com is not responsible for its readers’ comments.
  • Comments that are abusive, incendiary or irrelevant are strictly prohibited.
  • Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name to avoid reject.