Karwar: Eight members of a family, including seven women, drowned while two others remained missing after a group collecting freshwater mussels was swept away by strong currents in the Tatte Hakkalu river in Uttara Kannada district on Sunday, police sources said.

Expressing grief over the tragedy, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each for the families of the deceased.

According to police sources, around 14 people from Shirali village had entered the river to collect freshwater mussels, a seasonal livelihood activity practised in riverbank and coastal regions.

“During the process, they are believed to have moved deeper into the river without accurately assessing the water level. When the current suddenly intensified, one or two persons were swept away,” sources said.

Several others reportedly jumped into the river in an attempt to rescue those struggling in the water, resulting in more people being caught in the strong current.

Police sources said eight bodies had been recovered so far, while search operations were continuing for two missing persons.

The deceased were identified as Umesh Manjunath Naik (40), Laxmi Mahadev Naik (42), Laxmi Jattappa Naik (30), Laxmi Appanna Naik (60), Laxmi Shivaram Naik (49), Jyoti Mastamma Naik (34), Malati Naik (38) and Mastamma Naik (60).

Two survivors — Nagaratna and Mahadevi — were rescued and admitted to hospital.

Rescue personnel, police teams and local residents were carrying out intensive search operations in the river.

All the deceased were natives of Shirali village in Bhatkal taluk.

Sources said the river current intensified due to heavy rains in the region, sweeping away several persons who had ventured into deeper sections while collecting mussels.

“Collecting freshwater mussels is a livelihood activity for some communities, similar to fishing. Many of those involved were experienced and had undertaken such activities earlier as well,” sources added.

Authorities were yet to ascertain how many among the victims knew swimming and the exact sequence of events leading to the tragedy.

In a post on X, Siddaramaiah said he was deeply distressed by the “extremely tragic and painful incident” and prayed for peace to the departed souls.

“On humanitarian grounds, the state government will provide compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of those who died in this tragedy,” he said.

The Chief Minister added that reports suggested some people were still missing and that intensive search operations were underway.

“Let us all pray that those missing return alive and reunite with their loved ones,” he said.

Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and Leader of Opposition R Ashoka also condoled the deaths.